Monday, May 20, 2013

Is this Social Anxiety? - Part 2

So I survived the grocery store but only just.

Okay I know that to you non-sufferers (who I hope are reading also) this sounds silly but, trust me, it is not. Willingly going into a situation that is going to be crammed with people, and the carts, and everything! Well, it just isn't that simple.

Here are some things that freak me out and how I am managing them.

First:
My partner touches all the fruits and vegetables in the store. He touches the potatoes, the onions, and the carrots because we have to purchase and eat them, yeah that is simple. He also touches the kohlrabi, avocado, brussel sprouts and fava beans. I couldn't pay him to eat them so why on earth must he touch it all!?! I start hyperventilating and become the shrill harpy that nobody wants for a spouse. So here is what has helped. Break it down now!
    1. Why does this bother me? Because I feel others are looking at him and judging me by his behavior. Simple enough.
    2. Are people really judging you? Look around. What is everyone else actually doing. They are shopping, corralling their kids, and trying to get on with their lives. The average person is too self absorbed to notice you much less care you picked up that eggplant. 
    3. Is his behavior unreasonable? Initially I answered this one YES!!! but stop, breath and think it through... Well who else touches all the produce? The stock people, children of all ages, old people, uh... everybody. Does the smart person, knowing this, eat their produce without washing them? No! Then why does it matter? ... I hate it when I stump myself.
So here is where I had to stop and think; if his behavior is completely reasonable then mine is not. I need to figure out how to handle this. I tried to tell myself it was okay and ignore it but that just made the inevitable shrieks that much shriller when they broke through. So my solution. Touch the produce, do it, just touch it myself and see if the world stops. (which it didn't)

I know this one seems trivial but it made the thought of going to a crowded noisy place which is difficult on the best of days seem that much more daunting and the process is applicable in other places as well. I have taken to breaking each part of the larger experience down and I am asking myself why it bothers me. I try to find the reason and it can be tough since so many reactions we have are so emotional and instant. 


I have a hard time trying new places : Get the menu online, or outside the restaurant window. Once inside ask the waitress/cashier/whoever works there "This is my first time here. How does this work?". Watch as they do NOT whip around to perform the dreaded Point-and-Laugh maneuver. Instead they will help you. Ask for help.

I freak when someone tries to hold a conversation with me in the checkout line :  Look around, everyone else is. They don't even care you can hear them badmouthing their baby sitter or griping about their boss. They won't even care that you are having a life of your own either. Just try it!

The whole point is that to start combating your anxiety you have to pick up the sword. You must be willing to try something, anything that may help. This may mean some introspection as to what the root of your issue may be. You may even need to get a friend or loved one in on the conversation so they can provide ideas. Problems don't just go away you have to work at making them better.

P.S.
After the post this morning I went to get ready. My partner enters the room and says "so you're lying to me..." clearly just having read my blog. He smiles, and we have a great talk...

This is the aspect I never thought about when I started writing all of this down. A couple of friends came over this evening and said something wonderful; The person who lives with the anxiety sufferer has no idea what that is like, what the thought process is. I see this paving the way for lots of good discussion in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment